Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Cinema Vultures

This watersprite's a movie-buff. Keeps an eye out for true stories, chick-flicks, comedies. Goes without saying that I love watching them on the big screen. In Karachi finding a theatre, screening a latest Hollywood flick is out of the question. So every trip to Dubai sees me making atleast one excursion to the numerous cinemas sprouting around like wild mushrooms.
This trip is no exception, maybe the difference lies in my frequency. Anyways, those visits got boxed in the "Sprite's hibernation period Feb 2006"
So, where was I...hmmm - yes my over-indulgence of visual treats on the big screen. Dubaiites seem to have grasped the whole theatre-going-culture with both hands as a major form of entertainment. And my siblings and I are right there with the lot of them.

Very rarely does it happen that I get to sit next to some stranger, but when it does, the results aren’t very pleasant and the after-shocks of that movie are long remembered.

Take for instance:
The late show for Four Feathers : I got the seat next to a rotund Arab, clad in his dishdasha (thoub- a long white traditional arabic dress), who probably didn’t understand a word of English, since he was busy reading the sub-titles and asking his friend to translate. Okay,I am not a heartless Sprite that cant understand about language barriers, but what really got me annoyed was that he had taken over MY elbow-rest, was sitting in his seat – yoga style,(couldn’t imagine how he managed to fit) happily slurping away on some drink, and every time a romantic scene came on he and his friend would have a conference, a loud one at that and he’d start jumping in his seat. With all his shaking, my seat would jiggle too. I wish I could have clobbered him! And to be honest there weren’t any sizzling lip-locks between Heath Ledger and Kate Hudson but the mini-gorilla sitting next to me seemed to think he was watching the Kama Sutra!!! Every time someone mentions Four Feathers – I groan out loud.

Casanova: I get to sit next to three guys, citizens of some Arab country. Inwardly I growl: "Not again!" Since I was already sitting, a whispered conference ensued and the prized seat went to the lucky guy in the red-T. I squeezed myself into the right side of the seat hoping he would be a decent sort. Thankfully they were well mannered, considering it was Casanova we were watching. But he did take over my elbow-rest! And for the first time, I was thankful to the UAE censorship board!

Walk-the-Line: My sis and I had to pick some stuff from the Mall, and since I'd been wanting to watch Walk the Line, we decided to take in the early show. At that hour the halls are practical empty. We got ourselves a whole row. After half an hour I feel something against my elbow, on investigating I see toes against my elbow-rest. I glance back to see an Arab, in his white thoub. I make a disgusted face, reconsider, put it down to unintentional and move my elbow out of range. The oaf keeps his foot wedged in between the two seats! Since, he kept getting up to answer his blasted cell phone, I decided to move up the row. Thinking he must have gotten the hint, only to have him sit behind me and stick his dirty toes again and touch my elbow! Eeeewwwhhh, that did it! I was so close to creating a scene, I got up and turned around to glare at him! He wiggled his toes!!!! The pervert. Lecherous foot behaviour! I may have forgiven him once, but those were a dirty bunch of toes, the big bulbous toe sticking out, bringing to mind slimy, eel-like creatures. What on earth was he trying to do? Say hi with his foot? Some way to get a girl's attention. Awful, absolutely awful! I stormed down the row and plunked my rear-end farther-est from the odious man! After which he got up and left! He had ruined my movie! I went home thinking: ThankGod I was wearing full-sleeves! But just to be sure, I gave my elbows an extra scrub.

Was waiting outside the counters of the cinema halls for my sisters, when I am approached by a Malbari man (South Indian) in a bright orange shirt, jeans , oily hair, oily skin– he has the audacity to ask me which movie I am going for!! I’m shocked speechless. Do I look like I'm standing there to be picked up!!! That too by some wannabe stud! I give my dirtiest look and say: "NONE!" Then walk off, praying that my siblings would hurry up. He starts wandering around the same area, giving me creepy looks. That does it, Im outta there. I was of the mind to go and complain to the nearest security guard. Dubai police takes serious measures against stalking and harassment. That’s the reason it rarely happens, but I sure seem to attract the biggest weirdos around.

A friend of mine labeled me WEIRDO MAGNET, not because of the aforementioned happenings, but because of the weirdos I meet on my frequent flights between Dubai and Karachi. Now that’s material for another post. Some other time.

Family and friends have a good laugh over the peculiar happenings in my life, the conclusion that is drawn each and every time is that its my face, I look too innocent! What a joke!

Its Thursday tomorrow am thinking of going and watching a chick flick. Hope don’t attract any vultures.

28 Comments:

Blogger Read before use said...

I am no movie buff and that means no cinema goer as well.
but the neighbour seat reminded me of an incident which I went through too.
I went to watch the Matrix Revolutions.One side arab girl and other side a kid (non-arab) with his mother.

Okay there are two kissing scenes in that movie and when the kisses came the arab girl covered her mouthbut still kept on watching meanwhile on the other side the mom made no distraction to keep the scenes away from the kiddo.Iam not gonna comment on the moms action but rather on the action of the arab girl.since it was a hollywood movie there were bound to be kisses,mujhay yeh baat samajh mein nahin aaye kay,movie daikhtey bhi hain or shareef bhi bantey kiyon hain...

2/3/06 17:45  
Blogger Read before use said...

and oh I thought I would tell you about this first, am on a blogging break, :D

2/3/06 18:26  
Blogger psyched said...

i miss the times when i got 3 free tickets for first day first show - and the first row upstairs during my tenure as film reviewer for KT's YT....best view and no hasstle from the others coz those rows and the 3 behind were always cooked by local females.

honey...u goign for a chick flick - what makes u think the vultures wont come?

hani...
i rmr the times when 'pecking' roses/flowers and birds symbolized the hero-heroine' making out - and how everyone got shifty about them....i mean, who are they trying to fool..its all out there! hypocrites! i say!

3/3/06 00:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

o-m-g....am really zoned out ! :/ ignore the typos and repetition - pls....i shud have taken the break!

3/3/06 00:51  
Blogger Read before use said...

so you've worked for Young Times too,psyched,it's surprising,it seems like you've done everything,studied everything,seen everything.

3/3/06 08:43  
Blogger watersprite said...

Hani: I see that happen sometimes. When my kid sis was younger, we used to put a hand over her eyes. LOL. And Psyched is definitely a happening person. I was not kidding when I posted that comment. Do u know she can play a musical instrument too. :) Oh there are certain things she has seen! lol


Psyched: No vultures for Nanny MacPhee! LOL Lots of kids and their parents. Loved it.

Voxy: Hey honey have been praying as well, hope whatever it is will work out for your best - inshaAllah. You'll get that promotion youve been working your a** off for- inshaAllah and anything else thats destined for you, you will get. My magic wand is on full battery. Will start waving it around from now.
:)

3/3/06 14:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
OMG i just remembered most of the incidents...had a good laugh..hahahahahahah

3/3/06 18:52  
Blogger Read before use said...

iam going to be super mightly impressed with ms.psyched,agar aik aur quality pata chal gayee mujhay.

3/3/06 22:25  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I read this going, "GRRRRRRRR." I can't, just cannot, stand rude men, I have zero sense of humour where they're concerned argh grrr.

But I still want to know the other weirdo stories :-)

3/3/06 23:55  
Blogger psyched said...

sprite....

will u stop flattering me and my happening self already ! :P

oh btw...i just saw to my horror - that anon who's all zoned out is me! (i think??!that is if no one else owns up then its definitely me! :P - another proof that im really weaaly zoned out! :/

hanii dear.....
matlab ke u were never impressed pehle se ?? :(

does being single and strong headed (as in at loggerheads with romeos trying to get a kick out of having frranship with me) count on the merit list??
oh! i was the battalion commander and high achiever during my ncc course :P now that shud impress u ! hehehehe

4/3/06 01:39  
Blogger psyched said...

and a foo-foo here and a foo-foo there - here-there - a foo-foo everywhere! :)

there is something for u on my blog btw ;)

i hope blogger doesnt eat/ban it!

4/3/06 02:33  
Blogger TakeOnLife said...

you love movies dont u... welcome to the CLUB!!!

6/3/06 09:22  
Blogger Read before use said...

I don't know how ncc works and therefore am still yet to be superly impressed.

6/3/06 19:35  
Blogger Mike said...

Yuck! Sorry, I couldn't help laughing a little bit :) But yuck!

7/3/06 00:48  
Blogger watersprite said...

Hani well ncc is something that happens in Pakistan, youve got to ask Psyched for the details

Guyana, well grrrrr is still mild compared to the noises I make when things like this happen. And they happen alot, will post the other weirdo stories sometime soon. Need a clean mind frame for that...lol

smz - welcome and yes I love movies! But not what happens when I get to sit next to a loony character

Blue be glad stuff like this doesnt happen to you! And yeah later on the lot of you laugh like hyennas! :P

Psyched: when have I ever delivered false flattery? Eh? A compliment should be deserved

Viking: The "yuck" sums it up, and no need to apologize for the laughter. My siblings dont have a polite bone in their bodies, they laugh at the drop of a hat!

7/3/06 23:10  
Blogger psyched said...

sprite jani...u know me, i dont take flattery and compliments that well :P - u shud observe me see red when a male does the 'adulation' act :P
but thanx hon....coming from u, rest assured, they arent going to waste ;)

hani & psyched...
NCC is a month long army training camp - the real thing! like marching continously under rain or shine, sick or not, shooting with real guns and bullets, camouflage, scalling a 2 storey building with a rope - the whole package...in full khaaki uniform, ordered and csreamed at by real army uncles with very real mooches:P
why NCC....coz it earned u extra 20 measly marks added on to your overall marks(for pre-med, every mark counts). dint care much for the marks - the experience will always be an all time high.

so there! hani - u impressed yet??

8/3/06 00:58  
Blogger Read before use said...

UmmPsyched,Iam still not sure to use the word impressed for now but I know one thing for sure,looks like I have to keep my distance from you .
Now I know,it is the army training that gave you the quickie shots taking routine.

Do you know what's the thing I was impressed with most? I heard psychology classes somewhere?

and Watersprite: being in the Uae and writing about it makes me connect to the writing because technically this is what happes here too.

8/3/06 20:13  
Blogger psyched said...

yeah hani...u heard right (about my wanting to go for a phd in psychology)...never got it fulfilled (yet) hence 'psyched' for now :P

9/3/06 00:32  
Blogger Read before use said...

so Iam not impressed!!

9/3/06 10:05  
Blogger watersprite said...

Hani - most of the Gulf countries have a similar life style, so I know what you are talking about

Voxy - Well I mentioned all the places i could think of in your blog. Good to hear u are here. Dad's outta the country! LOL - hey dont u have some friends u could meet up with? you only here till tomorrow?

11/3/06 00:11  
Blogger psyched said...

hani....
ya whatever ! am not here to impress anyone anyways! hmphh!

tiddi....
since uncle is not in the country - go for it! :P sprite...take our dear tiddi for a spin in ur tanky will ya ! :) am sure he'll be impressed!

11/3/06 01:05  
Blogger Read before use said...

watersprite owns a small tank??
did you go to ncc too and did so good that they gave you a small tank..tanky!!
kewl!

11/3/06 08:59  
Blogger psyched said...

aaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa...ya hani - soooo damyn kewl lol!

sprite hon...please enlighten dear hani here about ur tanky ! rofl :)

12/3/06 19:51  
Blogger psyched said...

sprite / hani.... please get this to tiddi....

'i cant comment on his blog !!!! - the damn thing aint accepting it ! i post the comment - and that anonymizer page opens up >:(

12/3/06 20:06  
Blogger Viks said...

LOL - good stuff!

13/3/06 08:15  
Blogger psyched said...

im sensing ur gonna update with the bryan adams concert :(

naaaahhhhiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!! maine bhiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!! **psyched does the over dramatization, filmy shtyle**

abhi se sadh rahin hoon.....haalat bilkul bend hojayeegi when u do post about it! :S

tiddi...ok - i try again without the anony thingi .... hey! how about that wordpress thingamajig eh?

14/3/06 18:14  
Blogger psyched said...

im sensing ur gonna update with the bryan adams concert :(

naaaahhhhiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!! maine bhiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!! **psyched does the over dramatization, filmy shtyle**

abhi se sadh rahin hoon.....haalat bilkul bend hojayeegi when u do post about it! :S

tiddi...ok - i try again without the anony thingi ( i was thinking about it - since urs aint blogger -but dunno y i always never got to trying it!) .... hey! how about that wordpress thingamajig eh?

14/3/06 18:15  
Blogger psyched said...

awww....its ok tiddi - even i missed it - twice now! :( lhr aye toh sahee! i'l chipkofy on him ! hehehe..then maybe u can come down to lhr and attend the concert too :)

ok sprite....out with the ramblings on the concert...how much did u croon with him? how much did u miss me ? :P

16/3/06 01:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home