Monday, January 30, 2006

Male Friends

While I was at the mall today, a friend called. I hadn’t seen Jini in a year, after a lot of emotional black-mail(me doing it) he being the sweetheart he is, decided to drop by. Usually, we meet in groups so, don’t get a chance to go wild or have a one on one talk- no holds barred. So there he was, formally attired, (which made me realize that all my male friends are exceptional dressers) putting on weight and since he is over 6 feet and broader then the average guy, I feel extra tiny. Come to think of it, I feel dainty in front of most male friends, since they all fall under the TDH category.

Found a corner booth at Uno Grill and over some melt in the mouth delicious brownies ala mode, Paradise and Spring smoothies, gossiped away to glory. I was royally pissed at him for several reasons but the good thing about male friends is that they don’t end the relationship the next day or throw the usual girlish-belly-aching-tanturms. He is one of those guys who is never serious, so he couldn’t be bothered about my fake anger. Is full of humour and a major flirt. The highlight of the evening was him asking me to help pick something out for his wife. It still has me grinning. I never thought it would be this much fun helping a guy get clothes for his wife. I am the no-fuss kinda shopper, I don’t deliberate and agonize over particulars, if I like something I go for it. I usually know what I want. He was delighted to find a woman who didn’t spend hours over one item. In over twenty minutes, I had an ensemble ready for him. He just pointed out her size and his budget and the particulars :D

You have to love a guy who would buy his woman something for no reason but to see her smile.

Last night, I was so far in the dumps I smsd a another particularly close male friend of mine. Shrek is considered a surrogate family member. I wasn’t in the mood to talk, but even then Shrekie made me laugh with his corny remarks. I had to tell him he was my best “girl-friend” ever! Knowing him and his kinky humor, I couldn’t stop the grossly funny and embarrassing comments that followed. I went to sleep blushing! Shrek is the one of the most down to earth friends I have. Sure he can get nasty when the occasion calls for, but he is who I turn to for guy advice. Infact, most times he is my sounding board. To him I am just one of the guys.

Even though Buddha, Bill and Buffalo are spread around the globe, somehow with their emails, long distance calls they remain an integral part of my life. Buffalo, for some eerie reason keeps me in line. I think it comes with him being an army brat! Ever the proper gentleman with a subtle streak of wickedness. My cross-word helper and rain-teaser. Bill, is a much older friend and the wisest in my circle (both male and female). Actually, he’s already a grand-dad but I love the fact that I can discuss important matters and he handles them with a sensitivity and sensibility that is truly Bill. Buddha is my Sayonara, Ciaomingus, man. The one I can have highly intellectual conversations with.

Then there are Dimples and Bambi. Dimples still blushes and has the most amazing smile ever. The fact that he is a self-acclaimed workaholic who still finds time to call makes him all the more vital to me. Last of all and maybe the most significant is Bambi. We can pick up where we left off from. He is one of my closest friends. And on most occasions my anchor.

Over the years I’ve realized, that all my close male friends have been there during times of major upheavels in my life. I do have some very close, long-term and fiercely loyal girl-friends too, but some-how the guys have constantly been there. Continually, been in touch, made sure I was okay. Through life’s major crisis they come out of the woodworks and stand by me – both visible and invisible. Silently offering their unconditional support. I don’t ask, yet there they are.

Most are married, some committed, dads and grand-dad. Them willing to make time in their busy lives for me is more then I can ask for.

I am blessed to have such amazing guys as friends.

6 Comments:

Blogger watersprite said...

I think both male and female friends have their advantages.

And about your second comment - female friends help out the guys when "they" dont know what to do! :P [Am talking from experience here...;D]

30/1/06 14:00  
Blogger watersprite said...

Hahahahaha

No COMMENT! :D

30/1/06 15:57  
Blogger psyched said...

awwww....thats sweet...i envy u for having all those male friends...but then again, i have u na...so i shudnt be whining :P
tiddi!!! now dont u get ideas!

"I do have some very close, long-term and fiercely loyal girl-friends too"......ahem ahem....ya-im kinda fierce hai na! lol!

ohh i see my bhaiyya somewhere there! :) btw sprite....damn it! none of them single???? can never get too lucky na? ;)

31/1/06 02:18  
Blogger watersprite said...

Honey you are more then just fierce! :D. More like a lioness with her cubs.hehehehe

Hey, yeah your bhaiyya is there. Had to be. :) And see it doesnt matter to me if they are single or not - they are my closest male friends. It ends there. :)

1/2/06 23:14  
Blogger psyched said...

oh hooooo sprite! u dint get what i was getting at! i know uve gained another year woman! but cmmon!!!
i was asking about the 'single' thing - not for u ! but for me!!!! lol lol lol ! u know...friends helping out friends?? :P

u killed the joke yaar!:P

2/2/06 01:59  
Blogger Viks said...

By the way, this a pretty neat post!

"I think both male and female friends have their advantages."

I agree! That's usually how it works for me. Gotta have both of 'em.

18/2/06 14:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home