Friday, February 24, 2006

Harping on about Rain

Today morning was no different then all the rest. After Bubloo’s subsequent Fajr alarm and breakfast, I went back to dreamland, to be startled awake by a crash that had me throwing off the covers and making a dash outside. Only to encounter a very dark, pregnant sky, high winds taking the shape of a gale and a pitter patter of drops. The sky wanting to let go off its burden but the cold wind just kept competing, howling and growling for supremacy. The echo of thunder in my ears. Lightening flashed. Trees swayed to the whims of the wind. I was finally getting my wish. I love winter storms, with thunder and lightening both vying for attention. Pulled a chair upto the window, wrapped myself in a quilt and watched nature let loose one of her moods. The heavens opened. A flood cascading from above. There is something so soothing about rain falling in sheets. I was mesmerized. Enchanted. In love. It was too cold for me to do that jig I was wanting to do. Ice cold winds, freezing showers. Warmth was only an illusion and winter was still here to stay.

Its been raining throughout the day. A sudden deluge or just a constant drizzle. There’s a bite to the air. Goosebumps on my arms.

Absolutely romantic weather. It’s the cuddling up with someone, hot chocolate, marshmallow, a long drive along the beach, dancing in the rain kinda weather.

Like my sister said its “lush mausaum…”

Its past 2.00a.m. and its still going on. Am so glad that I was not in Karachi. Usually miss these spectacular shows that nature bestows on us from time to time.

Throughout the day the following verse has been popping in my head.

“Sauhana safar aur yeh mausaum haseen
Humein daar ha hum kho na jaein khein”


Here’s to all Rain-Lovers

10 Comments:

Blogger Read before use said...

I actually played in the rain when I was in Lahore last year.Bara maza aaya.
The day I went to Lahore,it rained.
The day I was leaving,it rained.
What a coincidence.
It finally rained in DOha yesterday.
Laikin woh Pakistan wala maza yahan kahan!

24/2/06 09:00  
Blogger watersprite said...

This is winter rain Hani, different sort of maza. The monsoon season in pakistan is one of a kind.

24/2/06 13:12  
Blogger Raheel Lakhani said...

Ohh I am impressed with your writing skills, though its a little heavy but still I like it :)

24/2/06 20:51  
Blogger Veiled Muslimah said...

Assalam Alaykum,

Yeah, beautiful time. I'm so happy we were all together. :Faint: It's not going to rain like this for ages now... at least we have something to remember during the hot summer of Dubai. :P

Walaykumsalam wr wb.

24/2/06 23:24  
Blogger watersprite said...

Raheel: Thankyou. :D Do drop in again.

Muslimah: Yes, but its absolutely gorgeous weather. So enjoy it.

25/2/06 11:10  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I like this, the dark, pregnant sky! We've had weeks of rain, and now, none. I wish we had rainstorm at least once a month.

27/2/06 18:32  
Blogger watersprite said...

I wish for the same. Actually in this part of world we seem to go straight from winter into summer. And it only rains in winter. I love the rumble of winter storms.

27/2/06 20:57  
Blogger psyched said...

accessing blogspot has been a bitch lately....but i dint wanna pass the rain and strawberry comments!

sighh......rain......sighhhhhh :P

(i have already blogged about this in mine)

hani....
lhr has that habit...welcomes u with rain and worst is when it rains a day or on the day of ur departure - like tempting u to extend ur stay....i did that once...just coz the weather took a turn with the pregnant sky and all that baggage :) - the extra 3 days compensated for the hot/humid bitchy 20 days prior

3/3/06 00:21  
Blogger Read before use said...

i didn't mind the heat although I got "garmi kay daaney",i was just to happy to be in Pakistan,but the rain was a good addition,I hadn't played in the rain ever but that changed during my trip last year.

3/3/06 08:48  
Blogger Read before use said...

i didn't mind the heat although I got "garmi kay daaney",i was just to happy to be in Pakistan,but the rain was a good addition,I hadn't played in the rain ever but that changed during my trip last year.

3/3/06 08:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home