Tuesday, January 17, 2006

REFLECTIONS

Busted a mammoth zit on my lip. Owwwwieeeee!!! Some way to start the morning. Probably sprouted like a wild mushroom when I wasn’t looking. Over the past week, my head has been taking frequent walks down memory lane. Brain feels on overload with images, conversations and way too many memories. Sleep was inconsistent, an amalgamation of disjointed dreams. Waking up and staring into nothingness, or was it the darkness in my mind.

Got up on the wrong side of the bed. Decided I needed some solitude. In my jammies and favourite Montreal sweatshirt made a beeline for mom’s dressing room. Snagged a box of Hobnobs and a pouch of Orange Capri-Sonne. Plopped my rear-end onto the step stool and was busy munching on my snack and trying not to think, when the taste of the tangy, orange juice took me head-long into my high-school days. It’s funny how food can trigger memory.

I loved high-school. Still do. It’s that awkward age when you realize you need to make decisions. The stage where you need role models. Where the differences between the sexes glares you in the face and you wish the boys who had been your best buddies would still be the same. The period when girls either turn into bullying beeatches or angels of decorum. It’s that excitement of growing up, of being wiser of being more knowledgeable. Sports and Studies. Of thinking you hold the world in the palm of your hand.

Things like being voted vice-Captain and Captain for one of the four houses was such an honour. Then prom princess on Prom night. I looked like a complete dud!!! Wonder what the judges were thinking. Some of the best times and some of the worst bloopers. Still cringe at some of the not-to-be-mentioned escapades I got into.

As a kid, adulthood had always seemed so far away, yet in retrospect I wonder if I ever really did grow-up or change. Fifteen years “up” the road, I believe I am still the same at the core, maybe just more streamlined. The extreme lows may have punched holes in my petite structure, but I’ve always bounced back. A stronger person. Don’t know if “better” is applicable here.

I’m still grouchy as a bear if woken when I’m not ready to leave dreamland.
Definitely not a morning person, if I don’t want to be.
Still give my folks migraines.
My rebellions maybe infused with subtleties, they are still rebellions.
Am the responsible elder child I was at ten, still am. SIGH
Organizing is a passion that has escalated with time.
Am a doer. A dreamer. Always finding ways to test my boundaries, my limits. Break some and make new ones.
A bookworm. Have been hooked since childhood. Have collections upon collections. An avid reader – was, am and will be.
Procrastinated - then and now.
Still escape into dark corners. Mom tells me as a three year old, I used to wander away. Whenever she’d come looking I’d be sitting in some dark room, talking to myself.

I haven’t changed.

Feel like having a spitting match with my 5 year old cousin. Maybe will do so tonight…

Find myself lying on the floor. The munchies are long gone. A strong wind is rustling the leaves, hustling the trees to turn her way. Hear birds chirping around, crows delighting in causing chaos. Close my eyes, take a deep breath and tune into the wind’s sighing. Contentment and Peace. Alhumdulilah

Will get up in a while to tackle the rest of the day.

12 Comments:

Blogger Veiled Muslimah said...

aww sool Assalam Alaykum

glad to know your feeling better.
I had a lovely time reading that.

takecare,
walaykumsalam wr wb. :flower:

17/1/06 15:22  
Blogger psyched said...

sweeeet! memories to live by na?!

errr....cant help asking....spitting match????? :/

17/1/06 16:51  
Blogger watersprite said...

Am glad you lot enjoyed the post.

On spitting matches: Werent you both ever kids??? C'mon no spitting? Folks must have been really strict. I rmr we girls used to have em when we were little. I was going to grab my cousin and have one with him, didnt get the chance. Will do it tomorrow and tell you both who won. Obviously his mom is going to kill me, :D but it'll be fun. Every lil boy n girl needs to know how to spit. These days the breeze is strong. :D

Vox: Will read his blog and get back to you. :D

18/1/06 00:41  
Blogger psyched said...

eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!! spitting matches??!! eeewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!! y dont u just have a contest on who can jump the furthest?? or who can stand on one feet longer?? or who will not blink the longest?? :P

once again...eeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :P
but id really like to see samay in action! ;)

18/1/06 02:10  
Blogger Veiled Muslimah said...

Haha... poor sprite... samay finished the chocolated ALL the time! :P And then sprite runs out of stock...lol

18/1/06 15:30  
Blogger Veiled Muslimah said...

chocolateS*

18/1/06 15:31  
Blogger Veiled Muslimah said...

Oh and Sol, do me a favour woman. Change 'barefootstepper' to 'Reflections of a Muslimah' in your side menu. If you don't know how to do it, ask Samay, i taught her. And ask her to do the same..lol

Love you guys. :flower:

18/1/06 15:35  
Blogger psyched said...

oye WS! tiddi's exxagerrating friend @ aool.blogspot.com is guess who! ;) hehehee..shall i share with tiddi ur opinions about his friend? :P

tiddi....
there are other childish things to do that arent ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww ! :)

18/1/06 16:12  
Blogger watersprite said...

Its been a bummer!!! Cousin has gone off to bed - its a school night!

Im definitely going to grab him before i leave.

VOX: What's "childish"? hehehe. *sprite rolls her eyes*
Well spitting is a very common pasttime in pakistan! lol

I'd been asked earlier by psyched to check "jalal" out - he writes well. Didnt like his Eid Mubarak post. But to each his/her own. I did enjoy the lastest oone...lol - the elevator incident. I have to tell you though, didnt fall off the chair laughing, although was doing my splitting grin routine :D he is really good with words. So are you. :)

Psyched: Quit being the "angels of decorum" females that I wrote abt in the post. And the matches youve mentioned go in the romantic dept not the fun dept...lol - ever tried touching your tongue to the tip of your nose??? :D hehehe TRY IT!

Samay: I want my chocolates back!!!! ** Sprites going to throw a tantrum**

Muslimah: You dont know the half of it!

18/1/06 22:28  
Blogger watersprite said...

vox: Are you saying you have NEVER seen any pakistanis spit? :O

Everyday from home to work and back again - i encounter men rolling down their windows and there goes a missile, no respect for where it may land. It is spit, niswaar juice, paan ke peek, and god only knows what. From buses, motorbikes, rikshaws, cars, even the donkey carts.

Stand next to a paan walas stand and every one minute someone puckers up to let it loose. Its a ritual.

Have no idea which part of pakistan you reside in...:D Atleast you are in a germ-free zone.

U do need to do a tour of the bustling cities of pakistan..LOL (then i'll ask you..hehehe)

19/1/06 12:48  
Blogger psyched said...

can we please stop with the spitting??? eeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww baksh do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiddi.....i'l keep on with my ewwwww! eeeeewwwww! eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww ! so there ! :P

ya - and pls tell us which germ-free zone u exist in.

sprite...what angels of decorum eh?? u know me, the devil in disguise;) depends on the mood babe - and those around! ;) i rmr there were many a times when i made u and tall 1 and li'l 1 cringe with my antics - samay even threw a few of her 'junglees' remark to me! with loowweeee of course...well ya ur right on the dept tho :P im more an expert on that;)

19/1/06 14:37  
Blogger watersprite said...

m.ugur: W'Salam

You are welcome. Yes I am a relative of barefootstepper. :)

21/1/06 10:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home