Friday, March 31, 2006

Going Loco in Karachi

For once, everything went smoothly, too smoothly by my way of reckoning. I was knocked off by the punctuality, impeccable business class-service, no lost baggage, no glitches, my weirdo radar didn’t make a beep, even my ears didn’t pop! The way my journeys and travel plans work out, this was clearly a miracle. It was perfect.

It was short-lived. Grrrrrr!!


I should have known better, than be taken in by the false security of one peaceful journey. It was just the prelude to my senses being assaulted by the chaos that is called KARACHI! The cocoon was ripped open by the first car that nearly creamed me on my way out of the Jinnah Airport. I know Dubai traffic is a nightmare, but it’s a streamlined nightmare. Karachi traffic is driving bumper cars with the hiccups. Dodge, bump, yell, hit, swerve, cuss, and I am not even doing the driving! I just keep me eyes open for the spit missiles that certain imbeciles let loose with no respect for others. Fellow blogger, Viking Mike’s idea of furries on the roof of my car made the drive to work and back so much more interesting.

The pollution and fumes are giving me a rash, not to mention the dryness in the air. Speaking of air, it squeezed the life out of my tonsils! I have the worst sore throat imaginable. Not to mention the hot water and honey that singed my tongue hair. Owwwwweeee. Everything I’ve eaten today tasted like saw-dust, so am eating like there is no tomorrow. My head is not very happy with the piling pounds, but my body is ecstatic with the ‘extra meat’. For the life of me I cannot diet, even my brain rebels at the thought, the only alternate was to take out my rarely used walking shoes. For the past five months the only exercise I may have done is gone shopping. Hey what can I say, I am a woman! Anyways, after fifteen minutes of a slight brisk walk, my ankles were sobbing, I distinctly heard a groan from the vicinity of the right knee, muscles were wailing for the torture to stop. In this out and out war of the mind versus the body, the mind is wining hands down. Hope the blubber melts! I have to say that,Tree-Elf has provided motivation. Every time my body wants to collapse, my mind gleefully paints a picture of Tree-Elf running full out. Shudder. Since I am not willing to subject myself to that torture - yet – I continue with brisk walking.

At this point it is crucial to bring in the relatives. Now that’s a different kind of pain. On my arrival, my Grandparents house was filled to the rafters with aunts, uncles and the several dozen cousins. One chacchi (dad’s brother’s wife) was on a discourse about her capabilities and abilities in a bid to impress the her competition, i.e. the other aunts. Show off! A cousin’s proposal was accepted, I asked if she even talked to the guy and she said she hadn’t. Humph! The teens were discussing cell phones; the men were tossing business woes, while the women were stirring the gossip cauldron. An everyday occurrence in this house but for me it was a shock. In two months had forgotten how chaotic it can get, how completely nerve wrecking, its like trying to play volley ball with ice-skates on. Volley, slip, bruise, return volley, get a grip, focus, balance, volley, fall, volley, volley, volley (that’s 3 aunts tossing questions at the same time) I stayed for an hour, made my excuses then head for my room.

Am really missing home and Bubloo-the-cat’s warmth against my legs. Two nights in a row see me up and channel surfing until the wee hours then running to work, usually late but very punctual about heading back. For the past two days am going loco trying to re-orient myself, had to harass the telecom guys to fix the phone-lines, mosquitoes are drawing blood – half a pint per bite!, car repairs, the needs of several people that depend on me for their living, the relatives shenanigans are making me see red, even the weather is grating on my nerves and work has piled sky high, so I bring it home, only: NO electricity. The generator coughed and puffed and on a final groan gave out. Poor baby. Relief, I was delighted with the quiet, the peace, this was my chance to light up several candles. So here I am, plunked down on my bean-bag, writing this post the old-fashioned way. The shadows are waltzing with the flames, there is a breeze coming in through the window, leaves are being moon-kissed, the darkened corners beckon but head bent I let the ink flow.

My heart is quiet.

16 Comments:

Blogger Veiled Muslimah said...

Assalam Alaykum,

Whoa karachi sure does sound hectic. :(

Missing you..

Masalamah.

31/3/06 23:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tsk tsk samay ! very bad !!
dont worry sprite...me will be in khi soon! we'll do our own creaming ourselves! (whatever that is! hehe) -inshah-Allah! and no one can spit like tall one :)

*gassp* u used 'cuss' :P

and what the hell are 'furries'??

oh ! btw...welcome to pak !! :)

1/4/06 01:37  
Blogger Read before use said...

I liked the triple volley part.
My stay in Karachi was not chaotic, I enjoyed it, got a little sick and that's it.Karachi had better weather than Lahore in july.The only problem was I had to rely upon my relatives to take me around.

But I wasn't running chores or working, so that must have helped in enjoying my stay.

1/4/06 11:02  
Blogger watersprite said...

Samay you better watch your comments! I dont recall being a "midget" - agree to short but a midget I aint!

V.Muslimah - its seriously crazy, with all the stuff thats happening and miss you too honey

Psyched - Get your head outta whereever it has been - by creamed I meant nearly hit by a car while crossing the road, as in being one with the tar! And get yourself here when you can, dont forget your walking shoes! And i used the word "cuss" I didnt actually cuss, so you may as well stop with your dramatics! Ufff

Oye am not talking about us lot spitting! Am talking about the "paan ki peek" and morning spit that comes flying thru the window when your car stands too close next to a bus! YUK

Voxy: DO NOT believe everything Samay writes, i may have excess energy at times, but that does not make me an energized bunny! :D

It wasnt the Lambada honey, its the mambo,the rumba and the chaCha Cha. Third day and i wanna go back!!!! **wails** i dont hate khi, I just cant go with the flow here, usually stick out like a sore thumb.

Hani: Whenever we got to Karachi for holidays it was loads of fun, everyone was on their best behaviour, taking us out and whatnot. You move here, work and then see the change in the relatives. Hypocrites! I used to love coming to Khi for my breaks, but now its a dreaded affair.

Anonymous: Thanks for the tip, will check it out but dont think I will loose any weight with this type of shopping! LOL

1/4/06 12:35  
Blogger watersprite said...

Thanks for the invite Voxy but dont have any relatives in Isb, and besides my work is khi/dxb based. Id love to visit though. :)

Maybe some day

Relief to know that spitting on other ppl is not a nation-wide phenomenon

1/4/06 15:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully written! Loved it

This is how i feel when i land in lahore..after 8 hrs of flying..the culture and environment shock i get frm Uk --- > pak is a stunner..

when r whisked away to my aunts house..we r all tired grumpy n have the plane's engine still resounding in our ears. Auntie's start to serve food n wat not..biryanis and etc..my god after the dodgy food from PIA ..its a killer..

1/4/06 16:58  
Blogger Read before use said...

the pan spitting is just too much in Karachi, face high spittings on a wall. It is like two contenders lie on the floor and spit onto the wall to see who can reach higher.

Pia food, I liked Pia food.

1/4/06 18:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hani u do? good lord...lol...

:)

1/4/06 23:31  
Blogger watersprite said...

Thankyou Nadi - I know food is awful on most airlines, but this time business-class was excellent! Didnt even come home and eat.

Hani the picture you painted is hilarious. The paan spitting is so totally gross! And I cant imagine you liking PIA food! :D

I got GODIVA chocos Samay! :P

2/4/06 00:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im anti PIA - pain in the ass it stands for ! it stinks ! ewww

isl is a sleepy city. come to lhr! and we dont have those spits happening here.

the anony is spam gurl ! and u went ahead to respond! hehe

2/4/06 02:58  
Blogger Read before use said...

yeah, maybe I was just lucky, but what I had in PIA was good, could be because they thought Price Hani was on the plane.

2/4/06 10:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

err....samay...save one what? :S

4/4/06 22:44  
Blogger watersprite said...

Godiva chocos - psyched. I ate all the ones I got - heheheheheheh

4/4/06 22:57  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

What an absolutely brilliant, amazing post. My goodness, it's one of the best I've read. It is vibrant, colourful, noisy, so much to see, hear, silences...I have to stop or I'll gush.

5/4/06 01:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

word for word agree entirely with Guyana Gyal.
great post. almost felt the mozzie bite. ouch!
thank you for wonderful entertainment.
kind regards,
kanga roo

5/4/06 14:18  
Blogger watersprite said...

No gushing allowed Guyana. :) I enjoyed writing down every word. Just that you could see and hear and feel is the higest compliement you could give me

Anonymous- Kanga roo - Welcome and am glad you enjoyed yourself. Do drop in again. :)

5/4/06 21:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home